Fugitive Fragments

by Mike McGuire

The Brain Has No Nerves That Feel Pain

A brain has no nerves to feel pain
so medicos rest their case here
the hypocrites of Hippocrates
engrave this in stone as fact.
At a laboratory in my mind
a sample of cerebral cells
are observed to divulge
Just pain
of loves
gone
by

Single Post Navigation

65 thoughts on “The Brain Has No Nerves That Feel Pain

1. I love the piece, an intriguing message…..and an excellent shaping.

2. This is a wonderful piece, it truly is!

3. Found you via Ina – this is a great piece. (‘Depression’ is one of my tags, too. Definitely a poet thing.) Pleased to have discovered your work.

• How nice of you, thanks very much – any friend of Ina is a friend of mine (: You’ve piqued my curiosity now so I’m off to your place…

4. unfetteredbs on said:

I loved the presentation of this.. It enhances your words.

( you haven’t been showing up in my reader. Thanks for stopping by)

5. Mike, what can i say…”just pain of loves gone by” …if there was ever a best last clause – for the brain to encounter :-)

• Sometimes I stop and wonder about the impact that my poems have on a reader’s feelings; other times I read comments like yours and know the answer. Thank you very much Maria.

6. and i can almost feel the pressure of the spike bearing down :)

7. it seems as though you was in a bad mood but had softened by the end, angry at the frail brain that feels nothing but senses pain, maybe i can empathise or sympathise
    i like rhymes that focus on the first letter as yours has

8. Word! You broke it down so purely I enjoyed the perfection!

9. This is an excellent piece of work Mike! I also liked the shape you formed.

10. Reblogged this on How my heart speaks and commented:
    Really intriguing form

11. A work of visual art and of poetry…brilliant.I will ponder over it.Thanks for writing it..I like to think

12. this was interesting..and a different attempt. so well done

• Thanks old friend, they say one should try everything at least once and it appears that I’m a glutton for punishment. When you think about it, the geometry is just an extension of writing to set forms.

As a aside, thank you for being my silver-medal commenter for 2013. _/|\_ Namaste

13. My sentiments entirely. You hit the nail on the head, with the content as well as the form. Doctors and scientists are in league with God, didn’t you know?

14. marcus on said:

Great piece of writing. Angela mentioned about layers…will need to re-read this to fully absorb. I have so much to learn so I may annoy you from time to time.
    Be well Sir Mike
    Cheers

15. A great paradox is revealed: the nerveless brain that can generate the greatest pain via mental anguish. And while scientists can work on the chemical formulation for love, we know that as much truth is discovered there’s always a bit of magic unaccounted for….and so here we have this piece of poetry magic (loved the visual shape too).

• Hey Hey RT – you were on my mind then I just noticed an email telling me you’ve posted so I’m coming around to annoy you.

Paradox indeed revealed by your scrutiny (for which I’m truly grateful) and also the ‘je ne sais quoi’ whose genesis could only be in the alchemy you suggest. Thank you for enhancing the interpretation of this pointed piece.

16. This is absolutely fantastic. Love how the poem’s form diminishes as the worth placed on the human intellect does. Can’t stop reading it!

17. true – nerves feel pain when the brain declares it is so – on their own, no brain no pain.

nice thought – liked the shape of the poem too.

18. I love how you have many layers in this, Mike, especially how your language moves from complexity to simplicity… as if the end point is so very simply love. Very nice poem!

19. I love the way this poem shapes up.

Brilliant!

20. Heartafire on said:

This hit a nerve Mike, very fine writing.

21. Muddletation on said:

Especially special

22. How do you do it Mike? You manage to surprise me every time! :)
    Greatly written and emotional.
    It touches me.
    Lots of love
    Patty

• You’re very kind Patty, thank you. Admittedly I had to bleed this one down but otherwise writing poetry is always an enjoyable challenge.

• Hmmm I always bleed when I write my poetry.
        Still, I can say that I enjoy it as well! :)
        But this one is very special, I don’t think I could ever create something like this!
        Hugz

23. Mike, this is beautiful. Pains me at the same time. Poetry suits you. You express emotion quite well. Nothing to heal a heart is there?
    ~Audrey

24. Very creative. Amazed not only at the word composition but the composition of the layout! Bravo!

Whaddya think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Sean Bidd

Nomadic & transient tales, with the occasional short piece of chaos.

Asylum

100 Haiku

Ramona Crisstea

I dream of painting and then I paint my dream

My Poetry

My collection of poems

Click Here To Read More

How My Ears Hear You

tylersculinary

Tylers culinary blog

InMyMetaphoricalRoom

An online journal of my life's adventure figuratively wrapped inside my metaphorical room as strains of songs filled the space.

inspekturbram

there is beauty in simplicity

Its PH

The daily reads and writes

Stella Pierides

Literature, Art, Culture, Society, and lots of Haiku

The Isaiah 53:5 Project

inspiration, musings, observations, humor, apologetics, and The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Truth Troubles: Why people hate the truths' of the real world

Thoughts from an old American Christian man about our world

Recycled Salvage Design

Recycled Salvage Design Specializing in Repurposed Upcycled Unique Furniture and Art

glimmer of happiness

Just anything under the sun that makes me happy. :)

Crosschatter

experimenting with the truth

Sarita's Dream

Writer, Poet, Philosopher, Meteorologist, Amateur Model

Jazz You Too

jazz music to remember

Aubrey's Arch

Oneness on the path of Wholeness

Poetgeneral

In the world of Literature, Anything Is possible. Poetry/ literature is the express expression of the heart and soul.

Sailing Pen

Embark On Your Adventure

hauté boheme

/криостатированной горячки/

THE WAYFARER'S NOTES

BEN GONZALES' BLOG

Ramblings of the Claury

Welcome to our site. We hope you'll enjoy our pictures, photos and poetry and find inspiration from our ramblings.

Darkness Smiles

stories poetry

Elan Mudrow

The Ridges of Intertextuallity

Poetic Licence

The Poetry of a Certain Geniegrrl

Have I said this before?

My Creative Writing. And other stuff.

Moonlight and Madness

bruised not broken

MIDST HOPE

Story of life

Theodora Zheng: on Wordpress

The second "official" site for Theodora Abigail (Zheng), a goofy poetess who runs off potato products.

~ L to the Aura ~

sustainability. compassion. inspiration.

The life and times of Lizzyspit!

What goes on in the life of yours truly

Ink On The Heart

"You are read more than heard"

Spahr Plops

Poetry it seems / A way to express a thought / Where nothing hinders

Fay's Haiga

(Fay's Haiku Blog: http://fayaoyagi.wordpress.com)

Linnet Moss

On books, food, wine and beautiful men

jotNrot

lyrics and poems for songs unsung

PhokuFeed

Photography + Haiku = Phoku!

Pen and Inked ✑

WRITER~POET~DREAMING OF FREEDOM 4 CETACEANS

Writeaway

One novice writer's journey creating a children's fantasy adventure novel.

All Nine

Collaborating with the Muses to inspire, create, and illuminate

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,353 other followers